Thursday, July 30, 2015

Another Day, Another Dress



Living where I do on the prairies, where my legs do not see the light of day all winter long (or rarely do anyways), come summer I love spending my days living in skirts and dresses.  That's not to say I don't appreciate a nice pair of shorts or capris because they definitely do have their benefits.  Gardening and yard work in a dress, while do-able, is not always the most ladylike and who wants to get mud and grass stains on their pretty frock?  Not me! Strong prairie winds are also often not a friend to dresses either - some day I will sew weights into the hems of my dresses and there'll be no stopping me.  There is just something about a pretty skirt or dress that makes me feel good.

So to that end, and the fact that we are still in the Sundress Sew-A-Long time frame, I sewed up another dress.  It's the tried and true Sis Boom/Scientific Seamstress Jamie Dress.  This is my third one, and although I've not sewn it in a few years, I still really enjoyed the pattern.   The only change I made to the pattern was to add pockets and a half circle skirt.


I am, apparently, all about the circle skirts this year!  I love how flattering and flowy a circle skirt is!  I've made four new dresses this summer so far and three of them have half circle skirts. The only reason the lone gathered skirt dress didn't get the same treatment was due to a lack of fabric otherwise it too would have been a circle skirt.

There's not much to say about this pattern that I haven't already said when I last made the Jamie dress.  It's a great pattern that sews up quickly.   By the way, you can get this and all the other Sis Boom patterns in their new Etsy shop - and if you use the code WELCOME you can get 50% off right now!!!

My fabric is the cotton sateen from Gertie's collection, available through JoAnn's although I see it's currently out of stock online.  If you happen to have a JoAnn's nearby that you can shop at in person, I highly recommend this fabric.  It's smooth and has a bit of a sheen to it - feeling almost like a rayon, but without the scary washing hazards rayon can possess.  It sewed up like a dream!

Now I'm off outside to enjoy the sunshine and maybe do some knitting while the little guys play in their pool!  See you next time!


8 comments:

  1. Looks great, love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you mind sharing how you turned it into a half circle skirt please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sort of cheated on the half circle skirt and just used another pattern that I have that fits perfectly rather than drafting my own. (I used the Violette Field Threads Ginger dress' skirt pattern for this one). If you don't mind drafting your own pattern, By Hand London has an app that does the math for you - depending on your size it will likely tell you that your skirt won't fit on your fabric width, but you can just ignore that and turn your fabric so that you are folding it the opposite way - so instead of selvage to selvage edge, I fold mine cut edge to cut edge and then I have plenty of room for a half circle skirt! Here's the link for the app: http://byhandlondon.com/pages/circle-skirt-app Hope this helps! :)

      Delete
  3. It is very beautiful ! This is one of my future projects !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It's a great pattern! I highly recommend it! :)

      Delete
  4. That is a lovely dress! I've never heard of Sis Boom patterns but they look so comfortable for summer. (I've just found your blog -it's always nice to find another prairie girl who sews!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:23 AM

    Just jacked off to these pics

    ReplyDelete